Emily, Wellard, Kat and myself are off on a couple of weeks road trip in Bravo 2 (the Landrover jeep with the lumpiest seats, no air-con but the best engine). We will be delivering supplies and much awaited letters from home to the venturers at the various project sites across Costa Rica and Nicaragua. We also need to pick up one injured venturer, with their supporting medic and drop off them off to hospital. 

Wellard and Emily

The most challenging part of our trip however is getting through the Nicaraguan/Costa Rican border.

Instructions from Ross for getting through the border into Nicaragua is as follows:

…approaching the border drive on wrong side of the road for a couple of kilometres past a long line of stationery lorries. Beware any traffic coming the other way, but don’t worry everyone does this. Arriving at the border on Costa Rican side, avoid lots of official looking guys with papers determined to direct and help you – they are all bogus. Sign out the vehicle with drivers passport and vehicle documents (registration, legal letter, customs letter and …). Go to immigration with all passports and process ourselves out of the country. Drive on up to Nicaraguan side which is truly chaotic. Collect a ticket stub on way through; park in front of bank and find the customs guy, who will be wandering around the car park in a light blue polo shirt (amongst lots of other guys in similarly coloured shirts). Get him to stamp and sign the stub. Then go and find the policeman, who is also wandering around the car park and get him to sign the ticket stub too. Depending on the state of construction works, go into one of two buildings to process vehicle documentation. Do customs first, then take car documentation to police. Head to immigration for visas for ourselves and pay the car tax. Drive through one more police check for another stamp. Pay dodgy bloke $1 for municipal tax (??) and we will be through…

At least that’s was the theory.

Far easier to follow a small boy who grabbed all necessary papers and ushered us efficiently back and forth to the various individuals, offices and queues, until 2 hours later we were clear and heading for San Juan del Sur.